„Fête de la Musique“, initiated in France in 1982, started to develop in Europe in 1985 with European Year of Music.
Since 1995, the public and private bodies present have co-organised a European Music Fest, every 21st June, in order to show their will to foster improved knowledge of the current artistic realities in their countries, develop exchanges in the musical field between countries in the European Union and with countries of Greater Europe, through a joint event.
This event takes the form of major local events for each country or in each of the partner authorities and aims to favour multilateral encounters between European musicians. European Music Fest aims to reinforce European cooperation with the support of the partners involved, making cooperation between the partners visible and thereby aims to contribute to the development of a cultural Europe.
In this spirit, European Music Fest is based on the following principles:
1.European Music Fest takes place every year on 21st June, the day of the Summer solstice.
2. European Music Fest is a live music celebration aimed at enhancing the scope and diversity of musical practices in all
the musical genres.
3. European Music Fest is an appeal to spontaneous and free participation open to individuals or ensembles (instrumental or singing) and musical institutions to give both amateurs and professionals the opportunity to express their musical
4. All concerts are free to the public.
5. European Music Fest is mainly an outdoor event taking place in streets, squares, public parks, playgrounds etc. Indoor venues may also be used as long as they respect the rule of free entry to the public. The European Music Fest is the opportunity to access and open places that are not traditionally concert venues to the public: museums, hospitals, public buildings…
6. European Music Fest is an exceptional day for all types of music and public. The co-organisers undertake to promote musical practice and live music within this framework without a profit-making goal.
7. The co-organisers undertake to respect the founding spirit and principles of European Music Fest as set out in this charter.
Fête de la Musique – Declaration of Principles
Fotos: Petra Fantozzi